I Volunteer!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

To be honest, I didn't have a particular dream job when I was a kid. All I wanted was to be rich. Yes, I wanted to be rich. But I only wanted to be rich because my dream was to help people. It may seem unrealistic but that's really what I wanted. I even wanted to volunteer in the army, be an army-doctor and go to other places for rescue operations. I wanted to have my own foundations and become a U.N. Women's Goodwill ambassador. But of course it wasn't easy for my parents to accept it but because I was so stubborn, I still went for it.
YES-O Officers
At Grade 7 I started participating in school organizations and volunteering for clean up drives and gift giving projects. I also participated in tree planting projects of the Antipolo Government. I also participated in fund raising events of different organizations in our school and most of them were through face painting which is actually one of the things that I enjoy. This continued until my last year in Junior High. My last project was a clean up drive in Marikina and a fund-raising event for the Astro Camp. Even though it was tedious just like what my mom always said, it was very fun. 


YES-O club officers and their #StressedtPresident


Astro Camp 2015-2016

As a former STEM program student and a student who has fallen in love with social work, choosing a strand was very confusing. A lot of people said that I suit the STEM and that I have no future in my love for writing and social work. But I wanted it so I went for it.

It was a tough choice. Both of my parents are both in the medicine field (Respiratory therapist and pharmacist)  and they were expecting me to become like them and to become the person that they weren't able to achieve, to become a doctor. But my life was social work. Although I wanted to help people who are sick, I wanted to be out there. I wanted to go to far places, hear other people stories, teach kids how to read, and learn how to be a part of them.  In volunteering, I felt needed in the society. I was part of something that could change many lives including mine. In volunteering I learned to be open minded and understanding. I learned to appreciate things in my life. I learned to be selfless. In volunteering, I found my purpose and my legacy, and that is helping people.

So for those who haven't tried volunteering, I suggest you to try at least once because in helping others you are not only helping other people but you are also helping yourself in whatever you are struggling with. Whether it is the feeling of being needed, losing hope and the feeling of being useless. Even though you are just a part of this you world, you are 100% of the future.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images